Tuesday, July 12, 2016

3 Ways to Collect Digital Student Work

Of course many teachers would want their students to have Google Drive accounts or Microsoft 365 accounts, but this is surprisingly not the case in many school districts. While some teachers may use LMS systems to solve this issue, today, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite ways to collect digital student work. To often teachers will shy away from student digital creation, as it becomes cumbersome to "collect" or view. I am here to tell you that it doesn't have to be this way.

Without further adieu here are 3 Ways to Collect Digital Student Work 



1. Seesaw

Seesaw is a digital portfolio system that allows students to show what they know. With a free teacher account, students can be tied to a class and are able to login with a QR code or Google account. Teachers can provide assignments or students can create and link their projects to the teacher and/or other students. Check out more about uses as a digital collection tool here.




2. Google Forms

Google forms have been around for awhile and no doubt we have all filled out a form that someone was using for survey purposes. Well, with a Drive account, you can just as easily sent up a Google Form (survey) as a place to collect digital project links. For example if your class all created Adobe Spark Videos (formally Adobe Voice), it is important to set up a way for students to turn in their final project links. It isn't helpful for all their projects to be stuck on individual iPads. Consider setting up a Google Form to collect student name and their project URL. For easy access make your Google Form link into a tinyurl or bookmark it for younger students. 



3. dropittome

dropittome is a great resource as anyone can send documents to your Dropbox, Drive or OneDrive without needing an account themselves. As you account holder you decide where you want the files to be "delivered" You create your own account and provide the URL and password to those people from whom you want to receive files. It is easy to set up and collecting digital assignments can start right away!





How about you? What are some of your favorite ways to collect digital student work?

6 comments:

  1. These sound like some good suggestions! I like having students turn in their URL through a Google Form to collect them all in one place instead of getting 25 separate emails for each address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Amy. It will definitely help cut down on your Inbox! And I like that it has timestamps within the Google Form Responses, so I know when everything was turned in in one "snapshot".

      Delete
  2. I working on Freshgrade as an ID project in another course as another online portfolio to collect work. It also has a grade book function. It seems districts up here in BC, Canada, the Okanagan area, are using this online portfolio. It is a bit cumbersome and I believe to complex for primary students. I do like your options and think Seesaw is a super one for primary. Google forms is one I would need to explore more. I have never heard of dropitome. Which is your favourite one of the ones you recommended? Thanks Mrs D:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response Derek. I definitely like different tools for different purposes. If you are just collecting links from digital projects than Google Forms is an easy win. Seesaw is awesome for primary and has some social and parental components if teachers want to get into those as well. I'll have to check out Freshgrade.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great ideas. I've always used either Moodle (our school's website system) or had them give me their url via Google forms or even just a Google spreadsheet. My issue is that if they forget to share their work (which you think would be easy as I have them make a shared folder at the beginning of the year and am every day reminding them to put their work in there immediately)...then I can't open it. Frustrating. Wish I had other ideas for you. I'm thinking that if I'm finally "allowed" to use Google classroom - then my issues of not being able to open a document might be solved?? I've also heard of Doctopus, but haven't used it myself. A coworker of mine really likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cross my fingers for you that Google Classroom is coming your way. Doctopus is a great way to set up classroom organization. What is your policy if students don't turn-in on time in the correct folder for your to view?

      Delete