Saturday, August 6, 2016

When is 1:1 appropriate?

Devices can be important for student engagement, creativity, and personalized learning. However, students need to be developmentally ready to engage with technology in a meaningful and productive way. With many districts looking to adopt a 1-to-1 device model as resources are reallotted, at what grade do you think this program should be introduced?

Please share any additional thoughts on 1:1 or grade level introduction in the comment section below. I would love to hear any and all explanations.



Starting at what grade is 1-to-1 devices important and appropriate?

Early Childhood (PreK-Kindergarten)0%
1st Grade0%
2nd Grade0%
3rd Grade0%
4th Grade0%
5th Grade0%
Middle School (6th-8th Grade)0%
High School (9th-12th Grade)0%
College/Career Level0%
1-to-1 is never approprate0%
0%

4 comments:

  1. This poses a great question. I really had to think about when it is a good idea to start 1 to 1. I think 2nd grade, but any grade could be debatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it depends a lot of the teacher and the mindset they have about their students. I definitely want younger students access technology, even if not in a 1:1 setting earlier rather than later. With regards to 1:1 a lot of times it comes down to money. I would love to start at the 5th/4th grade level in an elementary and move it down the grades with a classroom demo/trial. I think getting it down to the 2nd grade level successfully would be amazing! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I have had 1:1 with my 4th and 5th graders the last three years. I think back to when I taught second and I think they could have done fine with 1:1 by second semester. I probably would have torn my hair out trying it at the seat of the year with the little ones. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, thank you for your insights! That makes so much sense that it would be something you would need to work toward later in the year in the younger grades. What are the most successful aspects of your work with your 4th and 5th graders regarding 1:1?

      Delete